Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Problem of Jar Jar

So, I am a big fan of Star Wars. As such, I have a deep and abiding hatred for the prequel trilogy, which takes everything good and interesting about Star Wars and takes a giant, steaming dump on it. Everything from the nature of the Force to the origin of the Empire was destroyed. Continuity and narrative integrity were thrown out the window. However, none of these storytelling aberrations offend me quite so egregiously as that clumsy, movie-breaking monstrosity, Jar Jar Binks.

I know, I know. I know what you're thinking. "Preston, that's such a stereotypical thing to say! You're above petty grievances with Jar Jar!" First of all, thank you for thinking so highly of me. Second, I do not simply hate him because he is a childish character, and because he is annoying, although he is, and he is. No, the problems I have with Jar Jar run slightly deeper than that. There are three distinct problems I have with Mr. Binks, which I will herein discuss.

The first complaint I have with Jar Jar rests largely with his place within the narrative. Jar Jar is set up as comic relief, a little escape valve from the heavier portions of the film. I understand the purpose and, indeed, the value of comic relief. However, that being said, I have a few expectations for a comic relief character. These are not hard and fast rules, simply things that I like to see when I am presented with a character who is comic relief. Firstly, he should be funny, which, it should be noted, Jar Jar is anything but. Also, he should contribute, at the very least, one thing to the plot. In other words, if I were to remove the comic relief character from the story, it should, ideally, change. The hallmark of a bad comic relief character comes from his lack of plot contribution. Jar Jar does nothing particularly heroic, and in fact, does nothing in particular at all. He simply stumbles around and provides cheap laughter for the little kids in the audience. I would like to use, as an example of a good comic character, the original Star Wars trilogy. In it, we are presented with C3PO and R2D2, two droids who provide many of the trilogy's humorous moments. Yet, in addition to being silly gay robots, they are valuable members of our small band of heroes. C3PO acts as an interpreter, a vital job when dealing with the many foreign cultures that join the Rebellion's cause. And R2D2's skill with mechanics and ability to hack into Imperial machinery is indispensable to the underground Rebellion. Thus C3PO and R2D2 feel like important parts of the movie, and their antics make more sense, while Jar Jar's presence feels like the bad narrative device that it is. I cannot look at Jar Jar without knowing that he is a device for silly things to be said. Lastly, and this is somewhat less important than the other points I have made, I like when a comic relief character shows a bit of drama, has a moment of truth. Many good comic relief characters do not express this, and I do not begrudge them for it, but it is something I like to see. And the fact that Jar Jar does not have a moment like this (despite there being many opportunities for him to have them), simply makes me dislike him even more.

Now, what makes me dislike Jar Jar even more than the clumsy way he fits into the narrative? Well, I'm glad you asked, person I just made up. The awful thing about Jar Jar is that he is a black stereotype. I am certainly not the first person to make this claim, nor will I be the last. But let's look at the facts: Jar Jar walks with a shuffling gait, much like the old characters in minstrelsy. He speaks in a vague patois, a gross exaggeration of Caribbean dialects. And, in addition to the accent and speech patterns, his ears seem to resemble dreadlocks. Add all of that to the fact that he is a clumsy, buffoonish coward, and we are left with a very offensive portrayal, far worse than the crows in Dumbo (which is one of those "Fair for its day" matters, but that's neither here nor there.)

However, the third, and perhaps most galling aspect of Jar Jar's character, and of his racial stereotyping, lies in his introduction to the story. Let's set the scene. Qui Gon Jinn, portrayed by the wonderfully talented and shamefully underutilized Liam Neeson, is running through the jungles of Naboo. Jar Jar Binks, in his infinite clumsiness, bumps into Qui Gon. Qui Gon forces him to duck as invading forces make their way through the jungle, inadvertently saving Jar Jar's life in the process. Jar Jar begins blathering some nonsense about life debts and enters Qui Gon's service. Now, let us look at that a bit more carefully. Through no fault of his own, through no fault of anyone, in fact, but rather through a series of random circumstances, Jar Jar, for all intents and purposes, becomes Qui Gon's slave. This is shown to be for Jar Jar's own good, and he is, in fact, better off for it. And Qui Gon views him as a burden. In fact, Qui Gon tries to get rid of Jar Jar, but Jar Jar insists on being enslaved, claiming that it is demanded by the gods. So, we have the White Man's Burden, and we have this happiness in slavery along with it.

Ladies and gentlemen, there you have it. The Problem of Jar Jar.

1 comment:

  1. Me'sai glad dat you puts it so berry, berry goodly, Mistah Preston. Me'sai goin' to gib Mistah Lucas a talkin' to 'bouts the evils ob Paternalism, now sai. Me'sai tanks you, sai.

    ReplyDelete